Welcome to Power Fitness PDX


YOU have the power, strength and courage to make your life the best yet. Without even realizing it, you possess incredible determination and dedication to be your most active self possible...you just need a little nudge, education, and support. Through working with Power Fitness PDX your goals will not only be reached, but surpassed. What you thought was physically impossible for you to achieve will seem like a walk in the park when done training with Power Fitness PDX. You will not only feel and look better externally, but internally too. To improve one's strength on the outside has to come from improving their strength on the inside. It is time to Challenge the POWER of YOU! TM



Monday, July 5, 2010

What is the NEXT dream?

I have been reading through some past blogs that seemed to trigger many thoughts by clients, other business owners, health and fitness professionals and friends. The following is from a trip last Summer that affected me much more than I thought. I still remember the morning of this run with intense clarity.  Enjoy the read and I ask YOU- what is your next dream??
"YOU must do things you think you can not do"
and
"I believe that anyone can conquer fear by doing the things he fears to do, provided he keeps doing them until he gets a record of successful experience behind him."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

I went to Washington DC in July with my Mom and Sister. It was my first non-work related trip away from my girls. I was excited, nervous and eager to have fun exploring DC. I have been there quite a few times when growing up, but for some reason, this trip truly had a profound impact on me. May it be that I am now a Mom to two bright and talented girls, and wasn't before. Is it because I am so passionate about health and fitness, and we are in the midst of healthcare crisis as a Nation? Is it because I am embarking on new adventures and dreams this Fall and excitedly open to the changes that lie ahead? Who knows, but it hit me and hit me hard- you honestly have the power within to become a GREAT leader and create your own dreams.

When in DC I went running a lot. It is how I explore a city and my time in the early morning to learn about the new cities sites and smells. I love people watching as I run and waving to other runners. My last run I decided to return to the Lincoln Memorial.

I ran through the Washington Mall towards the Lincoln Memorail and my mind was racing through all the historical events that have taken place there. Mostly I was thinking about the leaders who were eager to make a change and challenge themselves to follow their hearts. It is interesting when looking back in time at those who put themselves out there did so with guts and determination, encouraging others eyes to open and feel the intensity and passion about their various causes. Be it Washington in becoming the first President in a newly independent country, Lincoln helping create a united country for everyone and abolishing slavery, Eleanor Roosevelt encouraging all to have love and respect despite their special needs, or Martin Luther King Jr. who wanted ALL to have equal rights despite their ethnicity or gender.

Washington DCI ran to the top step in front of the Lincoln Memorial to the exact position where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. stood when he culminated the March on Washington with the historic "I Have A Dream" speech. I looked down the Mall at the Washington Monument and closed my eyes envisioning the thousands of people sharing in Dr. King's vision. The people who came out and needed a leader to listen to their concerns, and be the voice who could speak their words. I was beyond overcome with emotion and started to cry. The passion Dr. King and the other leaders had to not only wish for a change, but MAKE IT HAPPEN despite the unknown challenges is profound. Not everyone will put themselves out there for others, but what people don't realize is how they CAN!

I continued my run and had a vision in my head- that of the leaders practicing the changes that need to happen for our country to be healthier. it was a comical vision of Congress and Senate in their suits doing a boot camp workout on the Mall, but I realized that IS my vision. In order for our kids to be healthy they need to see their parents model the behavior. In order for adults to be healthy they need to see the leaders of all realms of life model healthy behavior. And I am determined to make that happen...one challenge at a time.

Thus I ask you, are you walking the walk as you talk the talk? Are you exercising daily, eating your fruits and veggies, taking time to meditate and do something for your own wellness, and are you talking positively to yourself daily? In order for us to implement our dreams we need to believe, and I believe you have the POWER to accomplish anything possible. The hardest part is the first action of commitment, once that is done, map out your dream and make change happen. YOU are a great leader, but make sure to BELIEVE it TOO!


olympics 2008- Erin Shirey, CEO of Power Fitness PDX, Master Trainer & Coach
* after the Hulaman Triathlon 8.16.09

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Power Fitness PDX Blog. Have a healthy and adventurous day.
---Erin Kreitz Shirey
CEO, Owner & Master Trainer
powerfitnesspdx@gmail.com
www.powerfitnesspdx.com